Head of Research
We are working with a leading, fast-growing private wealth manager that is looking to hire a Head of Research to lead and mentor a team of 20-25 people across equity research, fund research, macro research, quant research and more.
In this role, the selected candidate will be leading a team that is responsible for producing market-related research that is used internally by the portfolio managers and other members of the firm to drive strong returns for clients and stakeholders.
It is critical that whoever is hired has a proven track record as a leader and a strong passion for mentoring others. Ultimately, while this person will likely get involved in some of the research being produced, it is important to note that this is much more of a leadership role than a research role. Also, it will be critical that this person demonstrates a high EQ, as well as the ability to build strong relationships with key stakeholders across the firm.
The Research team will also be working closely with the Strategic Unit (client facing) and investment solutions team, which are also core parts of the business.
- Proven track record of successfully managing others (and ideally a team). A passion for mentoring people and enabling them to perform at their maximum potential
- High EQ & very strong leadership skills
- Good personality, extroverted, ability to show empathy and earn the respect of the team as a leader
- Strong understanding of markets and multiple asset classes (including knowledge of equities, macro, asset allocation, is a big plus)
- Previous experience working in a private bank and/or interaction with private clients is a plus, however all background will be considered
- Previous experience as an equity analyst, fund researcher, economist or strategist is a big plus
- CFA or IMC (preferable)
- Working with members of the team to ensure that the quality of research output is exceptional and value-added for the whole firm
- Building relationships with key stakeholders across the firm
- A strong ability to ensure maximum output from the unit while taking into account resource and headcount constraints
- Participation in internal research meetings (Asset Allocation, weekly macro meeting etc)
Key Success Indicators:
- The ideal candidate will be able to quickly establish rapport/credibility with various senior internal stakeholders
- Ensuring that the quality and value-add of the research is consistently improving and helping drive strong returns across the firm
- Achieving maximal output from the team while working within specified resource and headcount parameters
Important to note:
- This is an expansionary position, as the firm is growing rapidly. Previous person in the role will be moving to another part of the firm to take on a more strategic role
- All research output of this team will be used for internal purposes – primarily by the portfolio managers and other client-facing teams. There is a separate team within the firm that is more focused on external communication with clients, however this hire will not be managing that team
- In this role, the selected candidate will be more focused on managing a team than producing research. This is very important to note, as this role is not ideal for someone that wants to be personally focused on producing research